We prefer to post only one article from each guest writer, but this article from our speaking guru buddy and Toastmaster in Montreal, J.A. Gamache, is such a gem, we just had to share it with you.
Whether the goal of your speech is to convince, entertain or educate, you'll have to explain your ideas, however simple. Here are 25 tools I use regularly to be understood properly or to bring credibility to my message.
First, decide what your core message will be. Then brainstorm about all the points that support your thesis. Here's a list of suggestions to jog your mind:
- Historical fact
- Scientific research / statistic
- Joke / humour
- Story / tale
- Personal anecdote
- Comparison / analogy / metaphor
- Third party anecdote
- Third party testimonial
- Case study / role play (with another person)
- Object / prop
- Audiovisual support (e.g. picture / video / music / song)
- Repeating / recalling the message
- Playing devil's advocate
- Plain statement / thought-provoking statement
- Catchy saying / slogan / recurring theme
- Hypothesis that you defend or attack
- Common objection and rebuttal
- Rhetorical question
- Method / tips / steps to follow
- Moving or miming
- Acronym (e.g. the SPA method: Seize it, Plan it and Act on it)
- Audience participation
- Call to action
Lastly, sort the items on your list. The amount of time allotted for your speech generally determines the number of points you can make.
Make it a habit to plan an outline of your text BEFORE you start writing your speech. Begin by finding your core message and then list all the points you'll use. This technique will guide your brainstorming and save you a lot of rewriting time!
©MMXI J.A. Gamache www.jagamache.com. All rights reserved.
PERMISSION IS GRANTED TO REPRODUCE THIS ARTICLE in whole or in part if a copy of the reproduced text is sent to J.A. Gamache at firstname.lastname@example.org after publication and also provided that this byline, including the following paragraph, appears along with the reproduced text:
This article was reproduced from "Speaking in Public with J.A.", a FREE electronic magazine authored by J.A. Gamache, International Inspirational Speaker. To subscribe to his FREE e-zine or to find out more about his presentations, visit: http://www.jagamache.com.